Sunday, May 21, 2006

FLORENTINE FAVORITES: Perche’ no!

this time it’s ice cream. it is finally ice cream season, at least for me. i have a hard time eating ice cream unless it’s nice and hot out. i have two favorites in florence, but my number one pick is perche’ no! which literally means, why not! open since 1939 perche’ no! has been making delectable flavors with wholesome ingredients. besides the regular standbys like chocolate and strawberry they have pistachio, sesame and honey, green tea, almond, coffee crunch, and ginger, just to name a few and they are all made with the “real thing”: no powdered milk here! the flavors are fresh and clean in your mouth. they don’t leave any of those nasty aftertastes of preservatives or film residue in your mouth like some ice cream does. i know you know exactly what i am talking about! it is also aesthetically pleasing to look at (can you tell that i am a libra?!) it’s not piled high in gooey mounds of lumpiness that looks like it has been there for at least a week. you might be surprised to know that you actually see a lot of that here in gelato land! anyways, back to perche’ no! - it’s about a two minute walk from the duomo so if you are in florence you have no excuse not to go there. unless of course it isn’t ice cream season. for any non-dairy desires, they also make granite and sorbet (but i haven’t tried them yet!).


perche’ no!
via dei tavolini, 19r
florence
tel.: 055.239.8969
www.percheno.firenze.it

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, kishko, you have set my heart at ease! I loved Perche' no! when I lived in Firenze one summer in grad school, and remember the gelato fondly to my husband...only to remind him not to let me have any if we ever go back to Italy together. (In the interim eight years, I've become mostly vegan, with the side effect of lactose-intolerance.)

But you say they have non-dairy products too! I'm sure those are just as amazingly true to flavor as the gelati, and now I can dream over showing off all my old food haunts.

8:26 PM  
Blogger kishko said...

it sounds like you need to make a trip to florence sometime soon!!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love perche no especially the one with Tiramisu
I wish I was in Florance now :)

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just in florence. Perche no has the best gelato I've ever tasted, better even than the gelateria's my italian friends recommended to me. I can't wait to go back and have fig gelato again!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape